A windshield can get damaged in two ways either in the form of chips or cracks. The difference between the two is that a chip is basically that kind of damage which clearly displays the point of impact by debris and that point could be in any form. On the other hand cracks are that kind of damage which creates a line in the glass whose range could vary.
Repair or replacement of a damaged windshield depends upon the intensity of the damage. If the impact of the damage is very minimal then you can opt for repair but if the crack is large and deep then replacement is the only solution to that.
Below are some factors that determine whether to repair or replace a damaged windshield :
Size and depth of damage:
- Size is a very essential factor in determining whether to replace or repair the windshield. If the impact of damage is just a chip of about an inch-diameter or three inches long crack then the windshield could be easily repaired.
- But if the impact of damage is very much deep and huge then you should probably opt for replacement. Never ever consider repairing if the damage is deep and large rather in that case simply go for replacement.
Type of damage:
- The damage could be of two types either in the form chip or crack. Many sorts of cracks such as bulls eye, partial bulls eye, crack chip, pit or ding can be very easily repaired. Basically chips and cracks that can be healed with a quarter can be repaired.
- On the other hand multiple cracks demand replacement because repairing won’t solve the problem. Also, if the damage or crack is deep and large in that case also repairing won’t work.
- If the windshield of your car has been damaged in a way that it disrupts your visibility then driving such a car could pose a threat to your safety and life.
- If the impact of damage i.e. crack or chip falls within the driver’s areas of vision then repairing is not at all advised. In such cases windshield replacement is the only solution recommended.
- Repairing such windshields is not a permanent solution and could also lead to accidents since it disturbs the visibility of the driver. Therefore, windshield replacement is the only possible solution to this.
Location of windshield damage :
- The location of the windshield damage also determines whether to repair or replace the windshield. If the position of damage is within the driver’s areas of vision then replacement is recommended.
- If the scratch happens to be on the edge of the windshield then it can spread quickly due the vibration that a car goes through during driving or meets bumps on the road. Therefore, in such cases replacement of windshield is the best possible solution.
- On the other hand if the position of damage is not noticeable and the crack is very minor then you can opt for repairing of the windshield.