Music and the power of music have been known to humankind since ages. The type of music and the energy it emits can create a positive psychological impact. Everyone listens to music and feels a strong connection to a particular genre. Music can be a quick route that can turn your mood better. It can be concluded that music can have several benefits than just a quick boost for your outlook.
Many researchers have found out that music is therapeutic and can have a significant effect on the body and psychic. People who play musical instruments like guitar, sitar, flute, etc. have been able to calm and soothe themselves in a way that no other therapy can work. Creating your own music can be healing, but even if you have no access to learning any instrument, you can reel off a list of songs that can calm your nerves and evoke happy memories.
What are the Objectives of Music Therapy?
The goal of music therapy is to meet the demands of individual that may include shaping self-expression and personal growth. The primary objectives of music therapy are mentioned below-
- Music therapy stimulates the emotional responses and releases stress.
- It kills depression and anxiety.
- It manages Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- It reduces symptoms of psychological disorders.
- Learning to play music can improve self- expression and communication skills.
Therapeutic Effects of Music-
Music therapy and its effectiveness are used for a wide range of purposes; one of them is, helping clients cope with the treatment. Besides, listening or playing music can help a person with various things mentioned below-
1) Stimulating brain waves- Music with beats can stimulate brain waves. The fast beats like that of a rock guitar and drums resonate in sync with brainwaves, making a person feel alive. Such type of music can help function work actively, enhances concentration and thinking.
2) Calms heart rate and breathing- Once your brainwaves are in the relax mode, they tend to influence other parts connected to the central nervous system like breathing, heart rate and blood pressure. Besides, if a person suffers from panting and high blood pressure, listening to soothing music from flutes and pianos can normalize their condition. People suffering from chronic conditions must listen to calming music or must consider activities like learning to play flute, piano or mouth organ.
3) Changing state of mind- Listening to happy music can uplift your mood. People going through a traumatic phase of life must indulge in music with happy lyrics or beats that radiates positive energy that will stimulate the happy hormones in people. Sometimes the cathartic message delivered by the words can have a huge impact in channelizing the optimism in a person. Make sure to help a sad person listen to such kind of music.
Key Benefit of Playing Music-
While you can relax by listening to music played by other people, you can also create your own. You might have seen musicians when they feel low; the first thing they do is grab their instrument and focus their energy in channelizing their anger into creating music that gives them happiness. Similarly, you can learn an instrument and keep control of your emotions.